Sunday 27 February 2011

Imparting a Mother's Knowledge...


I am thirty and I don't know about you, but I don't often feel very grown up!! So it was with very great pleasure that I spent about two hours in the kitchen with my youngest daughter today, cooking and baking meals and treats for the next couple of days. We made lasagne, quiche, bread pudding and flapjacks.

As we worked we chatted about home-making things, like cleaning as you go, and stocking the cupboards and how and why we combine ingredients the way we do, and what makes a healthy well-balanced meal, and what well-balanced means..... oh just everything really. It has been a really special time to share together!

After watching me, and with minimal guidance, faith rolled and laid her very own quiche base (we made the pastry together). As she busily buttered slices of bread for a bread pudding she said "Mummy....... I love you!"

Later on that night I could hear my husband's friend in the kitchen saying "Ahhhh is that lasagne, oh is that bread pudding....... has Jen made those quiches?" It made me smile!

2 comments:

  1. To truly appreciate this, you need to know that my daughter's kitchen is the size of a postage stamp and that her aged cooker has a mind of it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mum..... I remember learning how to make white sauce with you all those years ago!

    jen x

    ReplyDelete